Acrobat Mobile Android

CONTEXT

I was the primary designer for Acrobat Mobile on Android from 2014 to 2016. During this time I delivered designs for a number of key releases:

  • Document Cloud (2015)
  • Dropbox Integration (2016)

DOCUMENT CLOUD (2015)

Designed the framework, keeping in mind

  • The new Tool Switcher model for business continuity
  • Incorporating the new Material Design, yet maintaining Adobe’s brand
  • Designing experiences for the new features like Export PDF and Organize Pages
  • Solving existing pain points like helping users find their documents faster

Design: From first exploration to final design

aa__0005_Layer-1aa__0003_Layer-5aa__0004_Layer-6aa__0001_Layer-4aa__0002_Layer-3

From the Play Store

More about this project on Behance

DROPBOX INTEGRATION (2016)

This was part of a partnership with Dropbox.

The user could open a PDF file from Dropbox, work with it in Acrobat and return to Dropbox with changes synced.

Shown below is the workflow where a first time user is going from Dropbox to Acrobat, but there’s another default .pdf app on his/her phone.

dropbox_wf2.png

In the following workflow the user wants to add a second Dropbox account.

dropbox_wf1

An additional file repository tab for Dropbox was included.tablet.png

While this did not pose a challenge on the tablet, fitting all the tabs within the phone screen width was a problem. Specially because of the tab labels, which were in text, and also quite a localization challenge.

Here’s an exploration where I tried using icons as the tab labels, but there was also the issue of icon recognition. So I created a video where this micro-interaction will communicate the names of the icons to the user the first time he arrives on Home.

However we decided to retain text only labels for the tabs for the final version.

My Role: Primary Interaction Designer from April 2014-Dec 2016

Team: Collaborated with Kishore Kumar and the extended Adobe Design team.

Play Store: Acrobat Mobile

Read Next: Contextual Commenting for Acrobat Android

XPath for Adobe FrameMaker 11

PROBLEM AREA

This UI component XPath Builder and Results, was a part of the larger product Adobe Framemaker 11. The idea was to include the XPath Builder with the Results pod, so that the user can continue working within the pod instead of having to focus on different areas of the screen.

It was a complex workflow taken up by proficient users, who primarily use the keyboard. They also create very complex queries and often search for multiple queries at the same time.

SOLUTION

During this milestone, multiple iterations were created, validated with stakeholders, and redesigned based on the feedback.

Wireframes:

These show the different versions as I discovered nuances of the workflow with successive iterations and validations:

Users needed a list, and queries are long:

02builder

Queries are made first, and run on different scope. Users often run multiple queries at a time. Users needed a list, and queries are long:

wireframe4

People generally work/read from top to bottom. Matching the workflow to define the IA. Queries are made first, and run on different scope. Users often run multiple queries at a time. Users needed a list, and queries are long:

 

wireframe1

Final Design:

This was the final design. I used the typical workflow to define the IA and the layout so the eye would naturally be oriented from query to results and continue using this multiple times in a single session.

003a005a

Visual specs were done keeping in mind the following:

  • Responsive on increasing and decreasing size of the pod
  • Localization of strings
  • Using elements of Gestalt to present a clutter-free UI

XPath Builder Spec_FINAL1

Date of Project: Jan 2011-June 2012

My Role: Primary Interaction Designer

Poster Design

GOAL

A fun project where each designer was asked to create a typographic poster from the book 57 things by Michael Gough.

DESIGN

I wanted to use hand lettering done digitally – because hands are our first interface in a way as we feel the world through touch.

Poster2

Created with Adobe Animate CC and Adobe Photoshop.

Date of Project: 2013